Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What is a Graphic Designer?


Great interviews with great graphic designers by Design Council UK explaining what is graphic design, the process and what does a graphic designer. 

More people here in Malta need to know these things since when I say I am studying graphic design, the answer mostly would still be; "You stay on the computer doing posters?" 

Graphic Design is about concepts and communicating. In Malta I see a lot of need for graphic design but which, in my opinion, cannot be tackled because of the way it is offered or because people are still unaware about design. I cannot not say that good graphic design is increasing since more (young) people are studying it and more people are going abroad, but too much bad design is still present in Malta. I want design to be available to everyone to avoid being replaced by anyone who thinks he is a designer just because he uses the software. The computer is a tool. Graphic Design starts from brainstorming, sketches, concepts and ideas. These will lead to better solutions and better communication.




Right now I am designing a font inspired from Georgian, finalizing my thesis literature review, studying sound design and soundscapes, exhibitions research and planning.

In the meantime redwhiteMT, a great design blog in Malta, featured Money Magazine in the last blog. You can see the blog post here: http://redwhitemt.com/blog/?p=1237
I got also featured since I was interviewed in issue 5 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment